Headshots for the Camera Fearing

I’ve been talking with photographer Heba Salama for years now about scheduling a headshot. I put it off for ages, but when a recent article couldn’t be published with last year’s car selfie, I had no chance but follow through. Making the call was tough for this camera fearing subject.  A mixture of insecurity, perfectionism, and body dysmorphia makes for a rotten model.

To help me prepare I’ve cruised the web looking for advice on how to make the whole thing go smoothly.

Positive thinking, having fun, and good planning are ‘across the board’ suggestions.

The rest I’m leaving up to good lighting, and dear Heba.

From what I’ve heard (and seen), she’s really, really good.

I almost (almost) can’t wait.

Theory 'Lanai' Open Blazer

They say you shouldn’t wear crazy patterns or colors, and that solid black, navy, and white are best. Also, having more than one outfit is a good idea, so I’ll wear this Theory Lanai blazer over a scoop-neck white tee for the first half, a navy Devon poly V-neck blouse with a front that drapes in front of/disguises the bust for the second.

Many people say that choosing simple jewelry is smart and that the focus, then, is on your face. I’m tempted to wear my gold Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co. M, which I’ve worn around my neck for a million years. It’s little, and I’m sentimental about it, but going bigger seems more modern. Maybe, maybe not.

Mae Necklace

Danielle Lepore, my Stella & Dot stylist/pusher girl wore the Mae necklace a few weeks ago with a simple tee, and she looked so great. It’s a possibility for the shoot. I have the rhinestone strand that goes with it, too, but that may be too much.

Carmen Necklace

The Stella & Dot Carmen is really gorgeous in person. I’m taking it to see if it adds something special. Kind of hoping it does.

BECCA - Automatic Eye Pencil

Looking like yourself in a head shot is best. Since I’m not a makeup queen, I stopped into Luxe a few weeks ago (SHOP LOCAL) and had Nicole spiff up my routine. Since I’m so sensitive, she chose the BECCA Automatic Eye Pencil in brown. It goes on super easy, and won’t make you want to scratch the eyeballs out of your face.

BECCA - Luminous Skin Colour Ultra Sheer Foundation SPF 25+

No Makeup Makeup is my favorite kind. BECCA – Luminous Skin Colour Ultra Sheer Foundation SPF 25+ is terrific. Again, shop local, but if you can’t find it they do carry it at Sephora online (not in some stores).

The Quintessential Collection

I’m debating between the Plum and Twig Beautycounter Lipsheers, but am leaving it up to Heba to choose. I might need more color than the Twig, even though it’s the one I wear everyday, and love the most.

Obviously bottoms don’t matter when you’re having your headshot taken, except that the pros say it’s best to be comfortable. So I’ll be wearing my Gap boot. They get better every time I wear them.

M.

Have you ever taken a professional headshot? Have any tips to share? Do you like having your picture taken?

7 comments for “Headshots for the Camera Fearing

1. November 24, 2013 at 11:38 am

I have no doubt you will rock this. I can’t wait to see the final product!
    Marisa recently posted…No Crying Over Broken MugsMy Profile

• Martha Merrill Wills
      November 24, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Thanks Marisa. I definitely have some deep seeded fears around cameras. I hope I can relax and have some fun!

2. November 25, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I need to do this and totally have been putting it off. You are going to look beautiful no doubt. Can’t wait to see the photos!
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted…New York City Travel GuideMy Profile

• Martha Merrill Wills
      November 26, 2013 at 6:41 am

It was interesting. Loved Heba, and we have loads of friends in common, so we had stuff to talk about. Th worst part was my internal conversation that slipped out as we worked together. She told me to cut it out because my girls would catch on. She’s right. And I am too hard on myself. Whether or not I like the pictures, it’s going to have documented this strange place I am in life. That alone makes it worth it. x

3. November 26, 2013 at 6:33 am

I need a head shot for my new business/website and I’m all kinds of stressed about this. I almost never like photos of myself! I am in NJ at my mom’s for Thanksgiving and I need to get my Kevin Aucoin makeup book out of the closet. I know in the past, I have not worn enough makeup for certain photos and the camera washes me out. Let’s hear it for eyeliner and good lighting! Can not wait to see your headshot! Just can’t wait!
    ilene recently posted…Upside DownMy Profile

• Martha Merrill Wills
      November 26, 2013 at 6:45 am

Ok. First. You have the Kevin Aucoin book! OOOOhhhhhhh. Loved him…he died much too young. 2nd. Would you believe I couldn’t locate the stinking eye pencil yesterday?

The first photos looked a little washed out, so I ran to the car for lipstick. The second grouping looked colorful… like a drag queen colorful!

I was def an experience! xxoom

4. December 1, 2013 at 6:03 pm

You will look fab, but I feel your pain. Still can’t get used to get my photo taken, can’t hide anymore!
    silverbrogues recently posted…Bring on the New Season!My Profile