Cancer Schmancer Part Deux

December 7, 2011 § 8 Comments

My patience was wearing thin, so I made the call to my doctor. I was on hold for an awfully long time, which didn’t bug me one bit. I was this much closer to an answer.

Cheryl , the assistant, apologized for keeping me on hold. The hard copy results of my pathology had not arrived, so she went online to gather the information for me. It took her a little while to get into the system.

No cancer. No recurrent melanoma.

Thank God.

After dinner tonight, the girls and I went upstairs to do our evening routine. While they were brushing their teeth, I went to my room to change into my pajamas. I needed to pull the bandage off my punched and tender scar, but couldn’t free up the edges. I asked for Sophie’s help and she carefully pulled at a corner to get the thing off. She and Grace examined my back and said that it looked much better than yesterday. They aren’t monsters all the time.

While I was tucking them in, they wanted to talk about my scars. They asked how the doctor made the new boo boo.

Sophie asked if I was cut with a knife. I lied and said it was just a little scratch.

Grace wanted to know if the scratch hurt and I said, “No, I had a shot first.”

They wanted to know if the shot hurt.  I reminded them that their mother is tough.

I am supposed to be proud of my scars.

My kids don’t mind them. My mom says I’ve earned them.

That might be true, but I may not ever be ready to wear a tank top to yoga and put my scars on parade.

I’m not that tough.

§ 8 Responses to Cancer Schmancer Part Deux

• Aunt Nor says:

Sending hugs for all the you have to endure…Love You

Nor! It’s all good! We all have our “stuff.” Love you…

• Lesley says:

You’ve got patient persistance! Keep hanging in there. You’re being a great role model for your kids. Congrats on this good news!

• wow that was a really touching post…thanks for sharing. You are a good writer and it conveys how you felt. Keep in there! 🙂

• efudexandme says:

Glad to hear the latest waiting game is over and your news is good Martha. I had a melanoma removed from my arm a number of years ago so have yearly check-ups. I’ve recently had a Basal Cell Carcinoma removed from my nose and have recently finished a course of follow-up treatment which wasn’t very pleasant. However, it was clearly the right thing to do and I’m glad it’s all behind me. Like you, I started a blog to capture my thoughts – I’ve found it’s really helped to track my recovery and keep me focussed. And it sounds as though it’s helping you too.

Good luck with your marathon and all the very best for the future. Lisa

Thank you so much for writing. Yes, following up on our melanomas, etc. is the right thing to do. I have to remind myself when I have a scare like I did, that everyone has their cross to bear, we all go through things that are hard and at least mine is manageable.

Isn’t it amazing how helpful it is to blog? I’m finding it’s one of the best parts of my day.
      I wish you the very best of luck, as well!

• colette clark says:

YAY! Talking about scars reminded me of a story. There was a topless bar going in on the interstate near Aunt Ruth’s home and a bunch of ladies wanted to picket so they couldn’t open. I suggested that we all go topless and show them just how tasteless the place would be. There was a jaw dropping silence, since I had just recently had a double mastectomy. Talk about some ugly scars… It’s o.k. though, they didn’t picket. and I kept my shirt on.. Haha.

• Woo! Happy to hear the news is good. 🙂