An Open Letter to the Grammar Lovers

February 25, 2012 § 12 Comments

Dear Grammar Lovers,

I can spot a written mistake a mile away. When I hear one, my toes curl. It’s a curse that follows me everyday and I tend to not correct the mishaps, because I don’t want to be rude. In my head I fix poor grammar, spelling, and usage all the time. I love the written word and like to see it used properly.

It is much to my dismay, then, that in the past two days my on staff grammar police have found three errors in my very own written work.

I could die.

Why am I missing them? What is happening?

It’s the very nature of blogging to write and publish often, in which case time is not on your side. Without an editor to red pen every piece, it is possible to miss the errant mistake in your written work.

Most of the time I write the first thing in the morning with coffee and children’s television. When it comes time to review, a piece can either be easy or a pain in the neck. The easy ones get a look-see (maybe) three or four times. The tough ones, the longer ones, get looked over more than that and there have been occasions where I’ve fixed so much that I need to delete the entire piece and walk away.

I don’t want to bore my dear readers with all of the mistakes that cause me sleepless nights, but there is just one that gets me every time; the near constant misuse of me versus I.

Sophie and I went to the park. I went to the park. Yes!

Sophie and me went to the park? Me went to the park? No!

Sometimes I stop myself to catch it, to work it out, but it’s easy once you think about it.

My main intention for this post is to issue an apology for my most recent grammar issues, should they have caused you any concern (or raised eyebrows).

For my to that should have been too, I apologize.

I feel terrible for the comma behind literally in yesterday’s post, since it made my mother questions it’s placement. She didn’t understand why I put it there, but I really did have a good reason. I wanted you to know that I was breathing in the actual morning and not just the air. It’s still a confusing sentence, alas it was posted and I’m trying to move on.

By far the worst and most unnerving problem, the one that will take time for me to recover from was the spelling of my heroine Katniss, whose name I’d begun with a C (more than once). I should have googled her. I should have checked. For this I sincerely apologize. It’s also is a pretty compelling reason to actually read books and not just listen to them.

From here on out I want you to know that I love being corrected despite the heart palpitations that occur when made aware of their existence. Please don’t hesitate to offer up a suggestion or simply send me a message saying, “Line 6, word 4, fix it!”

I get it!

I appreciate your time in doing it!

Red pen me!

Sincerely,

xoM

p.s. Please note, I am also mindful that I am “comma crazy.” The first step to getting better is to acknowledge the problem. I promise I am working on it.

Tagged: , , , ,

§ 12 Responses to An Open Letter to the Grammar Lovers

• Gabby says:

Well I am postive my grammer….spelling comas, and everything else could drive someone to drink heavily…..but I gotta be meeeee! xoxox

• Twocovesfarm says:

That was awesome. Probably the biggest reason I don’t get more posts off. I am revision challenged and mistake prone. Good work.

It’s the curse of being a teacher too (once a teacher always a teacher, right?)! I can’t help but fret over revisions. p.s. Loved the fb post about gathering the cows and the diverted storm. The comment about your beautiful wife and your team work made me smile!

• kaitwatts says:

I am a comma lover too, so no worries there. I feel your pain with this as well being a teacher and graduate student. I have no excuse for poor grammar, however I think the issue with blogging lies in that we post frequently and although we may read over our work-once sometimes twice or more-we are eager to post. So, give yourself a free pass. We all do it sometimes.

Haha! I am a comma lover also. Honestly though I dont worry about grammar as much on my blog. No judgement here! 🙂

• auntieket says:

Really!?!? people have issues with your commas?!? As long as you get that “They’re over there with their stuff” I have no problems. It’s your message that connects with us (we love you and your message) and we want you to get a massage!!xoxo

• Oh my goodness, too funny. After I post just about every post on my blog, my husband informs me of a million grammar mistakes. I’ve come to realize that I switch between verb tenses unintentionally all the time. Drives me crazy when I go back and re-read and edit my posts. But I agree, I think that in this blogging world, we are so eager to post on a frequent basis that we (or at least I) tend to overlook my mistakes. But honestly, I haven’t noticed your grammar mistakes 🙂

• Cindy says:

Commas! When I was in the 11th Grade, my Advanced English teacher made us write a critical analysis on American literature two times each nine weeks. When we received it back from her it had a double grade for content and a single grade for grammar. I always had a better grade in content than for grammar. For each and every mistake we had to look up the rule in our Wariner’s English Grammar and Composition book. We were expected to write the grammar rule and rewrite the sentence correctly. My most commonly written rule was: “Do not use unnecessary commas.” That was followed by: “Do not use a pronoun without first referring to its antecedent.”
    Please forgive me for any grammatical errors. I have taught K-2 for the past 24 years. I can hardly spell or write anymore becuz in kindurgartn we rit foneticle an it lookz a lot lic this.

• annewoodman says:

I’m a comma lover, too! (No one ever uses the comma before “, too” anymore… makes me sad. ; ) As a journalism major and freelance writer, I am very picky with my own work… but I find mistakes I’ve made, as you said, in a hurry to produce content. I love that blogging also allows us to go back and fix things we write in error. So wonderful! (And please feel free to make a quick comment on my posts–correcting my own work is important to me!)

• Daryl says:

Don’t worry, it’s just the miles. Each training run is trading miles for IQ points.
    As the husband of a writer, I find myself correcting people in my head. Adverbs are the thing that get to me, and I blame my wife; I used to be oblivious to such things.
    Good luck with your marathon.

• […] Being raised by Peach it shouldn’t come as a surprise that we love punctuation and grammar and share a loathing over the errors made with subjective versus objective pronouns (she and I, she and me, etc.). I’ve blogged about it here before. […]