Taper Brain

March 10, 2012 § 8 Comments

I have taper brain. I’m scattered, anxious, nervous, tired, hungry and unable to make too many decisions.

It would be wonderful to be able to write something substantial describing the past few days, but it’s too much of a challenge.

All I want to do is run. I dreamed of the race last night.

It was sunny with a sideways drizzle and I realized I needed the long running pants I tried at Lululemon on Thursday. I didn’t buy them, because of taper brain; the making decisions part. I’m going back today to complete the arsenal of race day gear.

It’s early now, but I think it best to dress and go.

Eight miles are on the agenda for this Saturday before the Expo.

The kids will be with Peach today. The husband and I have a date.

I hope we don’t kill each other. The last time we tried to enjoy each other’s company ended in a yelling match. He thinks I love the marathon more than him. I tried to explain taper brain, but it’s hard for people to understand who haven’t experienced it. It’s hard for me to explain and I’m going through it.

Nine days to go.

I can’t think in a straight line, but one thing is clear. I haven’t been this excited for anything in a long long time!

Tagged: , , , , , ,

§ 8 Responses to Taper Brain

You think taper brain is bad – wait till the race is over and you don’t know what to do with yourself! 🙂
    Maybe you could promise hubby some more quality time once the race is over? While mine never openly accused me of loving the marathon more than him, I could tell towards the end he was starting to feel it.

No matter how much you want to run (trust me. I get it), REST this week because its almost time for the big day! Yipee!!

I can only imagine what I’ll be like when the race is over.

I am excited and enjoying the rest, but there is that thing about the party ending… a sort of sadness mixed with anxiety….not so much about the race, but more about what’s next.

I need a valium! 🙂 Just kidding.

It’s like my magnet…. Running is a mental sport and I am INSANE!

I had that too. I think its because you spend SO MUCH time planning for this, so when its over, you don’t know what to do with yourself. Unless you find another race…. 🙂

• So when is the next marathon??? 🙂

• annewoodman says:

I just talked to a friend who’s doing the half of the marathon you’re doing next weekend–it’s her first half. So exciting! I am living vicariously through my running buddies who are facing various firsts! I think tapering is for the birds, personally. I never understood it when people said it, but after last year, I really get it. Your body just aches to go!

Do you think you’ll run another marathon?

• annewoodman says:

My running partner wants to schedule one for this fall… but I’m really resisting it. It was soooo rewarding, so I don’t want to rule it out in the future… but it also took up a lot of my time, and for me, it’s time I should probably be focusing on writing.