Wild Horses Wild Time

May 6, 2012 § 13 Comments

The timing of our little vacation was perfect.

The place we chose, six miles past a paved road in the land of wild horses made it easy to forget the outside world. We four by foured it all along the sandy dunes to get to civilized land, since the roads aren’t paved that far down the Barrier Islands of North Carolina’s coast.

I spent my days sitting on the beach watching the girls play, giving me a chance to read a real book with real pages (as opposed to the audio versions), while Brian manned his fishing pole.

It’s funny how a break from reality lifts the doldrums (monotony you don’t even realize until you escape) and everyone is so much more peaceful.

The wild horses have added to the mystique and magic of the place.

They’ve been living along the shores of the Outer Banks since the 1500’s, descendents of the Spanish. We know this because we read up from books lining the rentals’ shelves. They had been pushed off Spanish ships that were sinking and their tough stocky bodies mixed with determination to live gave them power to swim to land.

The horses have survived longer than the Colonies and Blackbeard the Pirate and now roam the beaches, heads down nibbling sea grass. Every morning we would watch to see them coming up over the sandy hills and at dinner time we’d crane our necks to catch a glimpse as they’d disappear through the trees to where they’d sleep.

I managed to run one day, despite a nagging pain in my left calf. I probably should have given myself a few more days to nurse the leg (sore for a week already), but I couldn’t resist a beach run with the horses.

Beach running, I’d forgotten, is much tougher than running on nicely paved streets. My attempt at five miles turned into three with a half mile walk up the dunes back to the house. When I returned I was dripping with sweat, but stuck my legs in the hot tub anyway, hoping the heat would loosen the pull.

Amazingly, it felt much better the next day and tomorrow I will attempt a street run as soon as the kids are dropped off at school.

Yesterday, Brian’s old friend Uncle Al drove up from Raleigh and it was great to see him playing on the beach with the girls and their dad.

I watched from my chair while the boys got my daughters started with drippy sand castles, which kept them occupied for long enough that I was able to get all the way to page two hundred fifty in my book. Have I mentioned how much I’m loving The Help? It’s about a writer and a story she must tell and I’m delighted by the surprise (I can relate more than a little).

Last night I left the guys to party it up with Crown Royal and Coke and only had to come up once to tell them to turn down the music. They were having a good time, but I chose to  spend my evening in a wicker chair next to my sleeping girls, while putting the finishing touches on the piece I sent to GeniusMoms.com.

The piece I was working on, entitled Infertility, Hope and Mother’s Day, turned out fine. It was a difficult one to write, but sometimes I need to be reminded of how much I wanted my monstrous monsters. If it doesn’t get published there, I’ll post in Mommyland.

It was early when we got up this morning and not at all a beach day. I attempted to get something posted, but the 10:00 check out time made it impossible.

We are home now. I’m back in my writing chair.

Back in the saddle tomorrow in regard to my diet and my running, school for the girls and work for their dad.

The saddle. It’s a good fit, but sometimes I wish we were more like those horses we left trolling the sandy dunes; wild, free, with nothing to do but laze and graze. Those horseys have no idea they’re on a permanent vacation.

They were so excited their feet left the ground!

Mommy hearts S+G. G was on the cusp of a temper fit. Notice her stomping out my letters. Four year olds!

When the horses got closer we’d back away and let them pass. This time was special because there was a pony in the pack. You can see him right against his mother.

After the beach. Trying to be like my awesome bloggy friends who take pictures of themselves to document their fab fashion finds. Loved my Kayce Hughes Tunic, but I’m afraid I’m hopeless in the self-photographing department.

Lesson to mom’s with smallish children. Avoid teaching them how to take pictures using your iPhone. You will spend precious time erasing two hundred plus pictures of Chi Chi and Chi Chi and rental house mermaids.

Sweet Sandy Soph.

Grace. She throws a mean tantrum, but most of the time she’s a real lovey.

Usborne Activities Fairies Sticker Book. These things are an absolute lifesaver for children on vacation. The girls would work on them for hours. The Ballerinas, Sports and Pirates books are great, too!

Heading Home Happy.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , ,

§ 13 Responses to Wild Horses Wild Time

• LaVonna says:

Awe, I love! Your beach rental sounds amazing. Sorry to hear something is bugging your calf. Have u tried icing it along with Advil or aleve?

I have been rolling and taking Advil. I don’t know if my form is off now that I’m running in Newton’s. I’ve noticed that I use a lot more of my calves than I did in my Mizunos. Signed up for Galloway today. It will be good to have coaches who can analyze this stuff, too!

• kaitwatts says:

Looks like a fun vaca! Your new tunic is adorable and not a bad pic ever. Just for curiosity sake, if you are interested you can look up the Wild Horse and Burro Act. It is a highly contentious and political environmental policy act here in the west about keeping “wild” horses wild. The only problem is that they, like your Spanish inherited ones on the East Coast are not native. Therefore, they do not have any natural predators. Consequently, they have multiplied and taken over vast spaces of land here in the west killing off other populations of animals. We have huge billboards about this law-on both sides-all over Wyoming. I’d be interested to know there status on the East Coast and any protection laws they might have as I did not even realize that they existed until your post. Anyway, the nerd in me just came out.

My inner nerd appreciated your comments. My husband and I googled your Wyoming horses last night! The N.C. horseys are protected and a non-profit looks out for them. There are only about 130 left, so seeing the baby was a good sign. Apparently, some people want to build up the area which wouldn’t be good for the land or the horses. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• kim says:

So glad you are reading and loving The Help. loved that book! kisses to you and your beautiful girls…i miss you so!!!!

• recipeforabeautifullife says:

I spent many summers in that unpaved area north of Corolla as a kid. It’s one of my favorite places on earth and I hope to take my own kids there one day. Looks like your little girls loved it as much as I did!

That’s so great! Apparently, there’s talk about building a bridge that will bring people from Virginia straight through to the area. It would really change the beaches, making it more populated. And more people would probably build. I sort of hope not. It really is a magical and serene place the way it is.

• recipeforabeautifullife says:

It would make me very, very sad to see them build that bridge. Sometimes change doesn’t mean better.

• auntieket says:

Great documentary of a fabulous retreat. Always good to get away, but oh so wonderful to come home… Xoxo A.K. The girls are precious!

• Sounds like an amazing vacation. I would love to go where the wild horses run free. So cool and looks like your kids had a blast!

• Julie says:

Just returned from OBX a few days ago, and try as I might, I haven’t spotted a wild horse since 1997. I will never forget that feeling! I was vacationing in Monteray Shores at the time, and getting rays on the beach. Two beautiful horses came running down the beach right past my blanket playing and clearly having the time of their lives. Beautiful and free. Even then it was very different than the 1980’s growing up visiting OBX, when I would see them on the side of the busy roads or at the Food Lion waiting for someone to feed them.

It’s nice to know they’re still there. And they are clearly thriving now that they’ve been given a chance to live outside the roads filled with beach traffic and being over-fed with junk food from the vacationers.

• Sarah says:

Hi,
    My name is Sarah and I’m with Dwellable. I was looking for blog posts about Corolla to share on our site and I came across your post…If you’re open to it, drop me a line at Sarah(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you 🙂