Habituality

May 31, 2012 § 10 Comments

This morning when I rolled out of bed my first thought was coffee.

When I came downstairs, groggy still, I auto piloted through the making of a new carafe.

As is my ritual, the next thought was breakfast.

Usually I’d go for my Greek yogurt concoction, or a measured bowl of cereal, maybe some Ezekiel and peanut butter. I had to remind myself of the smoothie challenge I began just yesterday.

A cup of kale and banana and berries was not what I wanted.

It got me thinking about habits; good habits, bad habits, auto pilot habits, and make life easier habits.

When the coffee was ready I poured it into my sunny yellow cup and added skim milk. Then I waited, taking a few minutes to think about the challenge and why I was doing it.

I took yesterday’s second kale portion out of the fridge and gave it a good whirl with a spoon.

Having just drunk it down I can honestly say that it was good. I feel satisfied and full despite the fact that there was no chewing involved.

Habits are hard to adjust. They take thought and work and in the case of yesterday’s trip to Target I was able to avoid the toy buying habit, but fell victim to the children’s pleas for checkout candy (I caved and I can admit it). Rome was not built in a day.

One habit I am not ready to break is my fairly regular visit to Lululemon.

This week’s upload showcased a whole lot of dots. From what I’ve seen, I’m not a fan, so the girls and I will visit the store today to check them out in person.

Of course, I will let you know what I think.

M.

What habits are you working to change? What are some of your rituals that you do on autopilot and take concentration to do differently?

Coffee and skim milk in my favorite Crate and Barrel cup. I love the yellow on the inside, which is why I bought them in the first place.

I made a batch of kale smoothies yesterday morning. Today when I took the second portion out of the fridge it has separated with the blueberry juice on the bottom and the kale on top. A good mix was all it needed. It tasted a lot better than it looked.

Daily Tank

Lululemon Daily Tank in high noon dot blush. I tried the Daily Tank before and didn’t love it. The straps were too long. I really dislike this pattern, but we shall see what it’s like in person.

Diversity Wunder Under

Lululemon Diversity Wunder Under in high noon dot blush quartz/black. They are $72.00 and have tack marks where you can cut them to different lengths. It’s a terrible idea, I think. Spend that kind of money for leggings that you cut and are left without a hem? I’ll be surprised if they don’t end up in loot.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

§ 10 Responses to Habituality

• ttrodriguez says:

I recently read a great book called “The Power of Habit.” It talked a lot about how to break that habit loop and how , just like you said, auto pilot habits make life easier. But once you are aware of your habits and recognize why it is you do what you do, you can then change them. For example,. every day after my first class, I have a snack. It’s not that I’m hungry, it’s just snack time. However, when I’m not in my classroom, I don’t do this. This is a habit I’m trying to break along with only checking Facebook once a day. I’m also trying to change the amount of times I check my email a day. Habits are a very interesting topic …

Your smoothie looks delicious!!
    Have a great Thursday.
    Tracie

• Ilene says:

Ah, I too am a coffee addict. Although I’m not quite yet ready to tackle that one. Although the Diet Soda has to go. I’m actually writing about that one next week. Great post.

I have been thinking that my Diet Coke needs to go. It seems like a trigger for eating crunchy stuff which leads to other junk. Look forward to your post @ habits! We all have them, don’t we!

• recipeforabeautifullife says:

Goodness gracious, I love Lulu, but those polka dot crops are a no go! Who looks good in those?? I find old habits are (very) hard for me to break, but once I get into a routine, after about a week, I’m set. A few more days and drinking your smoothie will probably be second nature!

I have to write about my LLL visit. They didn’t have much in the way of the dots, but BIG markdowns on other stuff. You should go tomorrow!

• recipeforabeautifullife says:

Oh so good to know! I have the day off and I think a visit is in order! Thanks friend πŸ™‚

Yes… go! All that Marathon run stuff was marked down. I got the run skirt and a bunch of other random things. Have fun!

• I’m trying to decrease my need to be connected at all times – email, social media – it’s hard! Trying to find the right balance for it. I’m excited to do the green smoothie challenge because frankly I’ve been having the hardest time eating vegetables lately. I will eat anything else but veggies (except for homemade kale chips). I’m hoping that this will help to set some good habit for me! PS – my husband would like me to break my lulu habit πŸ™‚

• I am so glad that I live about an hour away from LLL!! But you mentioning the markdowns makes me want to go this weekend!! Gave up my diet coke addiction 3 years ago and it was the best thing I could have done for myself:)