Food Epiphany

June 5, 2012 § 10 Comments

On Sunday I went to the grocery store and spent a bundle; shopping just the outer spaces of the store.

At the same time, Brian went to Sam’s Club and bought “the big stuff” that we go through like water. Cheerios and milk especially.

The house was stocked full.

When Grace looked in the cabinet yesterday afternoon she had a total meltdown.

There was no sugary cereal. No candy in the cabinets. No ice cream. No empty carbs.

“But you can have an apple or a pear or a banana?” I said.

“How about a bowl of Cheerios or a frozen yogurt?”

“Would you like humus with cucumbers and carrots and tomatoes?”

“What about a cup of milk? A grilled cheese sandwich? Leftover noodles with zucchini from last night? A turkey roll?

She turned on the waterworks.

“I just don’t know!” She cried.

But she did know. She has gotten used to Swedish Fish and Bugles as a snack. There was comfort for her in knowing there would always be a box of Fruity Pebbles or cookies in the pantry.

It was an epiphany for me.

As a mom in charge of feeding these little humans I realized how my own food choices and mindless (read easier, here have some processed sugar) purchases have affected my children.

All of the foods I offered are things that are readily available in our kitchen, so they’ve ben exposed to the good stuff, but they’ve gotten used to the processed things that I’ve also bought (too often) for our house.

As is everything in life, this move toward a healthier existence is a process.

I am forty and am beginning the battle a little bit late.

For the children I hope I can turn around their habits for a lifetime of better (healthier) food choices resulting in strong bodies, good self images and satisfaction from the consumption of a juicy pear over an empty bowl of Lucky Charms.

Pear. pear. pear.

Pretty Pear image from Roost.com

Cark_Kleiner

Healthy Foods. These created by artist/photographer Carl Kleiner.

Grilled cheese and banana ice cream cone. Image (and lots of other cute food ideas for kids) at http://www.sixsistersstuff.com.

Edamame

Endamame. I had a bags of these in the freezer, but forgot about them! My kids love endamame!

Making whole foods fun for kids

Making whole foods fun for kids at http://www.naturallivingsocial.blogspot.com

Tagged: , , , , , ,

§ 10 Responses to Food Epiphany

• auntieket says:

So True! Keep up the good work. You can always get cookies @ Peachies.

• recipeforabeautifullife says:

I’m so thankful my mom was very strict about fruit, veggies and healthy snacks when I was growing up. The worst thing we ever had in the house was pretzels. Yes, Oreos sometimes made it into our lunch, but always with a sandwich on whole grain and a big piece of fruit. She sat many evenings at the dinner table with a stubborn/weepy child who wouldn’t eat her vegetables, but it all paid off! As an adult I love to eat fruits and veggie (I mean LOVE) and it is all thanks to her!!

My doctor said she’s raising her children similarly. Like when they get a lollipop at the bank she makes them save it! Mine practically tackle the teller for their lollipop and it’s gone in seconds! 🙂

Last night for dinner I gave them a plate of veggies and hummus and homeade guacamole with salsa and greek yogurt. They devoured it and didn’t ask for desert. I’ve just got to offer better choices before they get hungry. I think that part is key.

• This is so true!! My girls are older and make very good food choices now. Having a household of 6, shopping the perimeter was no always affordable. I often shopped for things that would feed the most and last the longest. Those things were not always the healthiest. Feeding 4 picky girls was even harder, but as I have grown older and learned more about healthy eating, they have too. It is also easier that they totally understand the health benefits and have outgrown temper tantrums!! I sometimes do look back and wish I had fed them healthier food options. Thankfully, they are all healthy, beautiful, vibrant women making good choices.

I’m going to continue to try!

After I posted this yesterday, my husband came home with a big box of cupcakes! Of course the girls didn’t want their dinner, they would have much rather had those cupcakes.

It’s a day at a time, a meal at a time, and constant analysis of moderation!

I love that you raised 4 strong and healthy girls! You obviously did a lot right! 🙂

• That “aha” moment comes at different times for everyone. I grew up in a pretty healthy household as far as eating. But I hated veggies with a passion. One day it just clicked. Who knew I would practically be a vegetarian thinking about veganism when I was older? My parents are in awe at what I eat now!

My mom is in awe of some of the things I eat, too, like kale and chia. It’s funny, since I am adopted we are completely different body types. She has a very small appetite and she’s always been a thin petite person. I on the other hand come from Norwegian and Italian women with big bones and boobs! The way she fed us was the way she was raised, and for me it made it harder to maintain a comfortable body weight. Not that I blame her AT ALL! But we do have a joke that if it’s not one thing it’s your mother! 🙂

• Stephanie says:

Those Carl Kleiner creations are amazing! We are lucky in that our twins love to eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Of course, they also love to eat chocolate and baked goods too! Everything in moderation, right?!?